Summer Week 1

Summer is in full swing and we're loving it!  Grant's preschool program (it seems silly to call it a graduation) was super cute and he loved singing the songs they learned.  He really thrived in the 2 day program this year and he's way excited to get to go 3 days next year. 

Here he is with his teachers Ms. Hurd and Ms. Schafer



For our first week of summer, we had a nice routine of reading/library in the morning, then pool and swim lessons, then friends over in the afternoon.  Haley started swim lessons and is doing great!  She is learning her strokes and becoming a real swimmer...not just a doggie paddler.  We had awesome 90+ weather and loved going every day.  There is a big group of about 6 other friends and their kids that go everyday for swim team or lessons or to hang out so it is way fun.  Too bad I didn't get a single pool picture...

Meanwhile - Brian went west to Colorado to present a poster at a conference in Denver and then stayed another 5 days to get his nature therapy and go backpacking in the mountains.  He tries to go backpacking at least once a year and so he decided to go big this year in Colorado. 


Here he is at the trail head to the Lost Creek Wilderness -
a 20 mile loop that goes from 8,000 feet to 12,000 feet. 


 Here is Mike, his backpacking buddy from our Delaware days who now lives in Calgary,
but was also in town for the conference.



 I always love a good aspen tree picture!
 After they finished their hike faster than planned they drove over a 14,000 mountain pass and froze in the snow on their way to another camping spot.
 A cute snowman Brian named Little Mikey.  I'm sure Mike appreciated that.
 They went to Brekenridge and then car camped by a beautiful lake.
 So pretty!
On their last night they stayed over at Mike's girlfriend's parent's house....I know, it's complicated.  I was just happy that he could shower before getting on a plane back home! 

I'm not one to get nervous when he is out of town...except when he is totally off the grid backpacking.  By day 3 of no contact and no cell phone reception I always get a little worried thinking he's probably fallen off a cliff and is dead (I've seen one too many episodes of I Shouldn't Be Alive!)  I always have him leave me the exact map and ranger station phone number and by what day I should call them if I don't hear from him!  Needless to say that first phone call when I know he's happy and alive is always the best!  I love Brian's adventurous spirit and his love for the mountains/wilderness and am glad he was able to have a fun, safe, trip.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I miss the Rocky Mountains! Loved the pictures--made me homesick. And what a sweet picture of Grant and Haley! What a couple of cuties.
Andee said…
Wow! Sounds like a great start to summer fun! And I am so impressed with your wife skills! I don't know if I'd be able to be so calm when my hubby did something like that! Props to you AND him for an excellent adventure!
Anonymous said…
Congrats Grant! 'Looks like you guys are having a great start to the summer!

Cara
Beautiful pictures!! Yeah, I would be (am) the same way--off the grid just makes me SO nervous! I hate scout camp for that reason. (Okay, I'll be honest--I hate it for many reasons.) ;) Grant's little preschool pictures are so cute, too. Wa-hoo for 3 days a week next year! :)
Amy said…
Those are SUCH beautiful pictures of Colorado!! That's nice that Brian got to have some intense wilderness time!

Popular posts from this blog

Science Center & Niagara Falls

Aquarium & CN Tower

Dearborn, Michigan