Backpacking Adventure #2

Last month over fall break, we went on our second backpacking adventure!  We went to a different section of the Red River Gorge and hiked a 5 mile loop - 3 miles the first day and 2 miles out the next day.  It was our longest backpacking hike yet, and everyone did great...myself included.  I am by far the one most likely to fall, and the slowest - hence my family nickname of rear admirable.  Haha!  

This was my first time ever packing all 4 packs completely solo, and my first time ever packing a backpack.  Brian worked and we had to leave a day early due to rain, so the duty fell to me.  I googled it and figured it out and got it done.  Yay me!

 We found a great camping spot right by the stream.  


 The next morning we packed up camp right before the rain came.  These fancy dollar ponchos kept most of us and our gear dry.  I did forget one item...Brian's rain coat.  I remembered his pack cover, but forgot the husband cover.  He was a good sport.  It was coming down so hard and he was absolutely drenched...but his pack was dry :) 

 We hiked the road back to our car on the final section of our loop.  
It was such a great family trip and I'm so glad we are teaching our kids a love of nature while they are so young.  They have camped their whole entire lives and to now introduce backpacking has been so rewarding.  It hurt to sit for 3 days after this trip, but it was so worth it!  Getting away, just for a day makes all the difference.  I can hardly remember what I did yesterday, but all of us fondly remember our family trips.  Another memory was made!

Comments

Girl, you are amazing!! This is so far out of my league that I'm always in awe! Beautiful scenery, too. How fantastic! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Science Center & Niagara Falls

Aquarium & CN Tower

Dearborn, Michigan