Pepe's verses John's...the Pizza Showdown
Let me just start out by saying that Brian has a deep love for Pizza. No big surprise, right? All guys love pizza, don't they?
So, when I first moved to Connecticut before we were married one of the first places Brian wanted to take me to Pepe's Pizzeria in New Haven, CT. He spoke of the legendary Pepe's with great enthusiasm and fondness the whole drive there. Little did I know many other people love Pepe's too and there is routinely a hour or two wait on any given night year round. Lucky for me, it was winter and FREEZING! About an hour and a half later we finally took our seats, thawed out and got our pizza. I was not a fan of New York style pizza and couldn't believe people actually wait so long in the cold for pizza of all things. It was then that I realized that Brian (and the rest of the people in line) must love pizza more than most.
Not long after this trip Brian took me into New York City (still during the freezing winter) to see the sites and try his other favorite pizza place - Johns in Greenwich Village. Same thing - long wait, freezing temps and flimsy New York Style pizza. Bleh.
Over the past 10 years we've gone back to each place more times than I can count (the things we do for love!) and oddly enough I've not only grown accustomed to New York pizza, but actually kinda like it now. Gasp! However, there was always the debate of which was better.
So this year we decided it was time to do the ultimate pizza showdown. Wednesday - Johns in New York....Thursday - Pepe's in Connecticut. Back to back. And the winner? Drum roll please....both Brian and I officially declare Johns the winner in all categories - sauce, cheese and crust. Sorry Pepes. We still love you...but apparently not as much as Johns.
So, when I first moved to Connecticut before we were married one of the first places Brian wanted to take me to Pepe's Pizzeria in New Haven, CT. He spoke of the legendary Pepe's with great enthusiasm and fondness the whole drive there. Little did I know many other people love Pepe's too and there is routinely a hour or two wait on any given night year round. Lucky for me, it was winter and FREEZING! About an hour and a half later we finally took our seats, thawed out and got our pizza. I was not a fan of New York style pizza and couldn't believe people actually wait so long in the cold for pizza of all things. It was then that I realized that Brian (and the rest of the people in line) must love pizza more than most.
Not long after this trip Brian took me into New York City (still during the freezing winter) to see the sites and try his other favorite pizza place - Johns in Greenwich Village. Same thing - long wait, freezing temps and flimsy New York Style pizza. Bleh.
Over the past 10 years we've gone back to each place more times than I can count (the things we do for love!) and oddly enough I've not only grown accustomed to New York pizza, but actually kinda like it now. Gasp! However, there was always the debate of which was better.
So this year we decided it was time to do the ultimate pizza showdown. Wednesday - Johns in New York....Thursday - Pepe's in Connecticut. Back to back. And the winner? Drum roll please....both Brian and I officially declare Johns the winner in all categories - sauce, cheese and crust. Sorry Pepes. We still love you...but apparently not as much as Johns.
Here we are at Johns in Times Square
And here we are at Pepe's in Connecticut
Comments