Spring Break Roadtrip
This week I was lucky enough to travel to most of the places I have ever called home - Virginia, Delaware, Connecticut and West Virginia. As I put on facebook - it was 7 days, 9 states, 30 hours of travel time and 17 family members visited. It was awesome!
On our way to DC we swung through Lexington, Virginia and saw our first home and did a fun surprise drop in on some friends. Haley didn't have any memories, so it was fun to show her where she was born and where I would walk for hours with her in her stroller. Then we headed to DC to visit my sister Jan and her family and their new house in Alexandria.
We rode the metro and saw some sites:
My kids were glued to their cousin's many fun electronic devices! Haley loved having a sleepover with Abby each night. I heard lots of giggles and memories being made.
Then we headed up good 'ole 95 and swung by our second home in Delaware. As expected Grant had zero memories of it, but Haley did.
We said farewell and headed further north to Mimi and Papa's in Connecticut. We had a blast mini bowling,
checking out the Yale Peabody museum,
and Lighthouse Park on the coast of New Haven. Of coarse we also ate at Pepe's Pizzeria in New Haven too. Grant represented his daddy well by eating 5 (small) pieces!
I must have had too much fun to take anymore pictures - but we also got to meet the newest cousin Lillian and see Aunt Michelle! She is such a cutie! I'll have to steal some photos from Papa.
Another highlight was the kid-friendly Seder that Mimi did for Passover. She had a toy for each of the plagues (including flying mini marshmallow for the hail!) and we got to eat Matzo Ball Soup, Potato Lakes, Matzabri, and Matzo with Cheroset. I'm also pretty sure I just misspelled half of that. It was a great way to teach the kids about their heritage, and thanks Mimi for all the effort and yummy cooking! We had such a wonderful time hanging out with Aunt Jenny and Aunt Debra and the family. Well worth the long drive!!
On our way home we stayed the night at my parent's house in West Virginia and also got to see my sister Cara and her family that were in town for their spring break and Easter. The kids got lots more cousin time and then we headed back home Easter morning.
I have to say I was nervous about driving all that way alone with the kids and my tendancy to fall asleep driving. But with my health in check I was blessed to not feel tired at ALL during any of the 4 days of driving. That has never happened before, even before kids. Thank you iron pills! I also have to give the kids MAJOR props because they did great the whole entire trip. I'm sure it helps that they are a little older. Let's just say if this trip is any indicator - I'm super excited for our camp across the USA adventure this summer!!
Thanks everyone for hosting us! It was a wonderful week!
Comments