Spring Break

This spring break we headed to the Smoky Mountains - a destination that has been on our list for a while.  Blogs are funny because they capture certain snipits of life, but completely eliminate others.  As I look at the pictures I remember all of the fun times we had, and the bouts of complaining that this trip had plenty of faded away.  Maybe it's better that way - remember the good and forget the bad!  So here are the highlights of the good, which there was also plenty of:
 
After we checked into our cabin, we headed over to Dollywood for the evening since they have a great policy of letting you back into the park the next business day if you enter the night before after 3 pm.  I wasn't going to miss that opportunity!


Haley and the "Mayor of Dollywood"

Amusement parks aren't Brian's favorite thing in the world, but he was a good sport!



Grant isn't a fan of heights but after 2 days of talking him into it he finally rode this ride just before we left the park and loved it!  Haley was old enough to ride the biggest and scariest roller coasters and talked me into riding them with her.  Let's just say that I am definately getting older because I have to admit I closed my eyes and probably held my breath for what felt like the entire 2:22 of that Eagle ride.  Whew!  She was in heaven though, and that is what really counts.  I remember when I used to think those rides were fun too.

This car ride was by far Grant's favorite.  He sure loves his cars.  He rode it many times all by himself.  I guess the appeal of driving all by yourself is much cooler.



Easter Sunday we headed to the mountains and went on some great hikes.  
Such a pretty waterfall!


We couldn't resist checking out the old AT.  Just wait AT - in just a matter of years all four of us will be back to visit with backpacks on.  I can't wait!!  I want to hike different part of it for a week with the family over summer breaks.
 
Brian in his amusement park - the mountains!



The mountains really did look Smoky!
Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg were swamped with people so we really enjoyed retreating to our cute little cabin.  On a side note - who knew sooo many pancake houses could exist in one place!  We counted 17 pancake houses on the strip of craziness in the Smokies.  That is a lot of pancakes! 
 
The pool table was a big hit.

And so was the hot tub.
We brought all the Easter stuff with us and had a good egg hunt in the cabin.

 
We avoided Gatlinburg mostly because it was so busy, and found a place we loved in Pigeon Forge - the Mill.  They had cute shops and we had an amazing dinner at The Mill restaurant.  Isn't it so pretty!  It is amazing what a good meal can do for everyone's mood. 

More hiking!



 
Grant wanted to take one of his stuffed catipillars on this hike and posed for many pictures.  His name is cousin mousy because he looks like his other catipillar that squeaks named mousy, hence the name cousin mousy.  Cousin mousy is a good hiker!

 
After a 4 hour trip home that felt much longer than it should have we decided that a little work would do everyone some good and had the kids thouroughly clean out the trashed car.  Now that I know what they are capable of there might be more of this in the future!

 A day later Haley got sick.  She must have brought home a bad case of strep throat, but is feeling much better now, and luckily didn't share it with us.  It was great to finally make it to the Smokies and make some new family memories. 

Comments

Ratliffs said…
We did this exact same trip last year and loved it as well! Looking at your pictures makes me want to go back! Glad Haley is feeling better.
Anonymous said…
So fun to look at all your pictures! What a great vacation! Loved the last picture about the car cleaning. :)
What a great trip. I've heard the Smokies are beautiful, but I've never been there. I enjoyed seeing them this way!! Makes me want to go for real. :)

I know what you mean about pictures capturing the best part. That is US! I feel sometimes like putting forth only the good stuff on my blog doesn't really tell the whole story (it makes my kids look all cooperative and nice), but you're right--I don't want to remember the whining and arguing anyway! :)

What a fun trip. Poor Haley with the strep... :(
Unknown said…
Looks like a super fun trip! I have always wanted to go to Dollywood!

Popular posts from this blog

Science Center & Niagara Falls

Aquarium & CN Tower

Dearborn, Michigan