Vancouver, British Columbia

A few weeks ago I tagged along on one of Brian's conference trips.  This is the same knee pain conference that took us to Belgium/London two years ago.  Yippee for the International Patella Femoral Pain Conference...yes this really exists!

This time we went by ourselves (my parents came with us last time while Brian's parents watched the kids, this time my parents watched the kids).  It was great!  We flew out four days early to have time to do fun stuff together before the conference started.
Vancouver is beautiful!  We kept spotting fancy cars on our strolls and couldn't resist taking a few photos for our Top Gear loving kids.  That shiny Mercedes was so cool and reminded me of a hot wheels car. 

 We rented bikes a few times and rode the 4-5 mile loop around Stanley Park seawall a few times.  I looooved that.  So pretty. 
 We also rode our bikes to the artsy and yummy Granville Island and saw the First Nationals boat race on the way.  I haven't seen bakeries that awesome since NYC.
We also enjoyed the Gastown district (no pictures) and did not enjoy the sketchiness of Chinatown (no pictures).  It was really sad to see what addiction can do to you.  I saw at least 3 drug transactions in just one block and one guy as we walked by on the corner whispered in a creepy voice "peeeercocet" to us.  Sorry buddy - no sale.  I rarely find myself uncomfortable, but red alarms were going off in my brain all over, and we quickly walked outta there!
 
One day we rode the biggest ferry I have ever seen to visit Victoria.  It was a long traveling day, but so pretty.  The ferry ride alone was awesome.  Brian's Norwegian fishing blood must still be in there because he sat the majority of the 90 minute ride outside loving every second.  I loved it too - but didn't love the cold - so I mostly enjoyed it from inside.
 In Victoria we visited Butchart Gardens.  Lots of cool flowers, manicured gardens...you get the idea.  We had fun walking around and had perfect weather.  I was still suuuper sore from the hike the day before (see below) so we took it nice and slooooow.
By the time we got to downtown Victoria we were starved and being the foodie he is, Brian had read about this little waterfront food truck type seafood place.  It was a major highlight for us.  Amazing what food can do!
 
My favorite day of the whole trip was the day Brian planned.  We rented a car and drove north of Vancouver towards Whistler - but stopped in Squamish for an amazing and crazy 12 mile hike.  I thought for sure we would blow a tire on the old logging road in our rented Ford Focus, but eventually we made our way to the trail head and found plenty of company.  The parking lot was packed and there were lots of families, mountain bikers, backpackers etc. 
 
It was 6 miles up to two beautiful mountain lakes (Elfin Lakes) and then 6 miles down.  It really pushed my limits since I'm not in the best shape right now, but it was so worth it.  I have never seen anything like it before.  Those coastal mountains are just amazing.  They even had glaciers - the first ones either of us had seen.  I just loved those huge pine trees too and all the lush green ferns and forest.  Some things you just can't see from the road, and I'm so glad that Brian is adventurous and seeks out cool stuff to do like this.  I'm a little more naturally lazy than he is, but I am always up for an adventure, even if it means I can hardly walk the next day!
 After spending a while at the top by the lakes, we started to head down and ran into a big thunderstorm.  Not cool when you are on the peak of a mountain.  We jogged for a bit and then as we were making our way down into the lower forested areas the storm passed on by.  I was really grateful!  I get nervous anytime we travel together since we have kids to raise so I didn't need any extra reasons for us to die. 
 
Well, another 2-3 miles down I saw bears!  Brian didn't believe me at first, but then after uttering a word I won't write here - I knew he saw them too - a momma bear and two cubs.  He stayed to take pictures.  I quickly walked to the winter shelter that happened to be there so the bears wouldn't kill me!  I was so irked that Brian didn't follow right away, but after realizing all of the other people on the trail acted like they were just some deer and weren't even phased, I calmed down.  I think both of us looked around us much more the final 3 miles to the car though!  Neither of us had seen bears before and had seen enough tv shows to rattle our nerves a tad.

 Even with the lightning and bears, we both still loved it.  It is stuff like this that you remember for years!
 
After the mega hike we stopped by some other pretty sites in the area.

Once the conference started I hit the malls, read, went out to eat: repeat.  I loved the down time with no schedule or plan.  It was such a great trip and I am so grateful to my parents for watching the kids and making some memories of their own.
 
Here is my favorite photo of the whole trip:
 
Traveling really helps you to realize just how big the world is and how many different types of people there are that fill it.  Even though it was just Vancouver - it was very diverse and we both left with a greater sense of appreciation for all the different ways and cultures there are to live a good life. 


 
 
 

Comments

BEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh my gosh. But you were in my home territory, even though it was Canada!! That's the type of scenery we had in WA. I SO love it. I've actually never been to Vancouver, but I've been to Victoria a couple of times, and I just absolutely love it there. How neat! What a GREAT trip!!! Love the photos. LOVE!!
Anonymous said…
What a fabulous trip! You guys really know how to plan your itineraries. Loved all the pictures, and the commentary!!

Popular posts from this blog

Science Center & Niagara Falls

Aquarium & CN Tower

Dearborn, Michigan