Grant's Friend
About a month ago during a family "weeding party" in the garden, Grant found a cute furry little white caterpillar. He was so excited about it and wanted to keep him. It took me a while to finally agree - mostly because I was annoyed that Grant wasn't helping out with our weeding party - but my persuasive little boy with a big heart talked me into it. I got a jar and we made him a little home with a stick and a variety of leaves from the garden. I seriously expected this caterpillar to last a day or two, but come to find out he was part of our family for about a month!
Grant took great care of his little friend. He gave him fresh leaves, took him upstairs every night to sleep on his desk, and watched over him a ton. Come to find out the little fella turned green and ate and ate just like the story goes.
After a few weeks of eating, he made a fuzzy brown cocoon.
Then he became a little white moth after about a week in the cocoon!
Grant was very sad to say goodbye to his friend, but we talked him into setting him free. He even cried, but the next morning he said he was happy about his caterpillar and glad that he gave him a happy life. It melted my heart to watch my crazy boy so loving and attentive to his little caterpillar.
I read online that moths only have a life span of a few days, so I'm sure he is in moth heaven by now - but I'll just let Grant believe his moth friend is flying happily around the neighborhood. Live on little caterpillar!





Comments