Hello Chicago!

Last week Brian had one of his physical therapy conferences in Chicago and we decided to tag along.  We stayed at the conference hotel, which was the original Hilton hotel right downtown.  It was so beautiful and huge!  It has over 1200 rooms and a beautiful ballroom and lobby. 

While Brian was off at the conference for 2 days, the kids and I saw the town.  I should give Bri a shout out for getting 2 podium presentations and receiving the best research award of the year for one of his papers.  Woo Hoo! 

Here we are walking through Grant Park on our way to the museums.
 Lake Michigan was awesome.  I was so nervous they would fall right off the ledge into the icy water...I'm sure I'll get the same feeling this summer at the Grand Canyon!
 Our first stop was the Acquarium.  It was soooo awesome.  Check out those big fish!

 We saw a dolphin and beluga whale show. 
Later we taxied over to the Navy Pier and checked out the Children's Museum. 


 The next day we went to the Field Museum and saw lot of dinosaurs, egyptian mummies and other animals and gems.  The biggest hit at this museum was picking your own fake corn though.  Go figure.
 Next we headed to the Planetarium.

 Haley "jumped on the moon" and we saw a cool 3D movie on the sun that I may or may not have slept though parts of :). 
The next day Bri was done so we headed out to see the city.  First stop Willis Tower (aka Sears Tower).

 We sat in the window ledge and no, Grant wasn't scared - he wanted and extra close up view of the ground 103 stories down!

Then we headed over to the Magnificent Mile - Chicago's version of 5th Avenue.  We stopped in the huge mall.
Haley used the money she's been saving to buy Praline - another American Girl cat.  Yes, cat.  And yes, I said another.  It cracks me up.  Ginger now has a friend.  It's her money, right?
 Grant spent his money at the Lego store next door.
Truth be told, we were all excited when we discovered you could make your own box of misc. legos for only $7.  We stocked up on a lot of wheels - something we're always short on.  Heaven!
The last day before we headed home, we stopped at the Museum of Science and Industry where Haley and Grant stood inside a tornado,
 and ran on a huge hamster wheel.

 They had a complete German Submarine inside.  It was amazing!
This museum might honestly be one of the best I've been to.  We could have spent another 4 hours there easily! 

Chicago was such a fun town.  The kids loved swimming each night, riding the subway and taxis, and roaming around the museums.  I'd definately go back again, perhaps in warmer weather!

Comments

Anonymous said…
What a fun vacation!!! You saw some amazing things. I had no idea Chicago was such a great destination. (I thought it was just a place where you change planes.) My favotite photo is of Grant kneeling down on the floor at the top of the Sear's tower and looking straight down.
Anonymous said…
I need to go to Chicago!!
Ashlee said…
Crazy I've been to chicago 3 times and have never been to any of those museums? They look amazing! Looks like you guys had a great trip, can't wait to hear more of the details. oh and it made me nervous just looking at the picture of you guys in the Sears tower!
I love Chicago! I've been there maybe 3 times, and I think the only thing I did that you did was the Lego store. So much cool stuff to do there. It was so fun to see what you did. (I probably would have done what you did if I'd had kids with me.) What a really cool trip. And congrats to Brian, too!
Andee said…
Very cool!! And next time you'll have to look up my family! That's the biggest reason I travel there anyway! But I have to say Chicago's museums are the BEST!!
angela said…
Chicago looks so fun! If we ever make it there you bet I'll be calling you! Glad you all had fun and Grant wasn't as sick during your trip.
Amy said…
It was fun to see your pictures! It looks like it was a successful trip. Kudos to Brian--what a smart guy.

Popular posts from this blog

Dr. Noehren is Now FUNDED....a Little!!!!!!!!!!!

Science Center & Niagara Falls

Life is Expensive