Brain Fog

Yesterday I made some yummy chili and our favorite corn bread recipe.  Mmm.  I was excited for dinner and feeling quite proud of myself for making a nice dinner until I stole a bite of the cornbread.  Something was off.  It was waaaay salty.  I tried to sneak it by Haley, but she returned it saying it didn't taste good.  Rats. 

I of coarse blamed the kids for distracting me and assumed I added too much salt.  After trashing batch one I started on batch 2.  Same recipe, same bad results.  What?   I had made this a zillion times.  Does cornmeal sour?  By now, Brian was home and I was trying to convince him that it didn't taste that bad.  After one sniff he declined and being the true cornbread master that he is, he decifered correctly that I put in baking soda instead of baking powder.  Oopsie.  Silly me.  I guess that does matter.  I am still baffled that I made the same mistake twice in a row, even after double checking the recipe.  Where is my brain?

Then tonight I was drinking some of my almond milk that I love soooo much, and I had a sad epiphany.  I have been trying to cut back on almonds, broccoli and cauliflower since finding out a while back that they slow your thyroid function (which is an issue for me).  No biggie...  until my foggy brain finally processed the obvious fact that almond milk is made with almonds.  Duh.  Oh well.  Life goes on without almond milk, but I would kinda like to have my brain back!  Sheesh! 

Comments

Too funny! I miss my brain sometimes too. ha I have made a baking powder-baking soda mistake before and you're right--there is a HUUUUGE difference that you can definitely taste. It's a bummer. :)
Unknown said…
Funny! I feel like that all the time (welcome to the beginning of the middle-ages years!). We made your chili recipe a week ago-always very popular. I do want your cornbread recipe too if you could send it. I remember it being really good and not dry.
angela said…
Hilarious! I have a PB no bake recipe I made perfectly the first time, and never since. I still don't know what I kept doing wrong so I threw it away and got a new recipe... :)

Popular posts from this blog

Science Center & Niagara Falls

Aquarium & CN Tower

Dearborn, Michigan