Fall in the Bluegrass

We had such a fun fall weekend.  We took the 'cool bus' to Evans Orchard to buy 2 bushels of their cider apples (the cheap and ugly, but yummy apples) for our yearly applesauce craziness.

 The kids love the play area and Brian and I decided that when we buy "land" someday (whatever that means) we will build one of these rat race tracks.  At the rate we're going this won't probably happen until we have grandkids!


 Applesauce makin' time!
 Most years we have inherited something new and exciting from my mom - more mason jars, her water bath tub, and then her coveted jar steamer.  Last year she handed over the Victorio Strainer 200.  For real, that's it's name.  It brought back tons of memories as a kid making applesauce and grape juice and it was just as cool to me as I remember.  You cut and boil your apples (core, peal, and all) and dump it in the bin and it oozes out the good stuff one way and dumps out the bad stuff the other.  Awesome!  So easy!!  I seriously think the Victorio is older than me.
 The taste testers approved.
 Look at her!  She's beaming!  hahaha.
 Well, here is what 2 bushels makes:  20 jars.  We made about 10 strained and 10 chunky style.
In other garden news - the tomatoes have finally come in.
And we harvested the multi-colored carrots and beats. 
We also cut the random pumpkins from the back yard.  We can't claim the big orange ones though - those were an Aldi special.
We've grown crazy things in crazy places in our back yard each year, but next year I think we've finally figured out 1) what we actually eat, 2) what hogs up coveted garden space and takes a zillion year to grow (beat/carrots) and 3) what grows well in what part of the yard.  We've already cut down the "pumpkin bushes" and have big plans for next year!  I may not be a farmer, but I love harvest time!! 
 


Comments

Andee said…
WOW!! I am so impressed with your applesauce making! And that machine is way cool! I may actually want to try it if I had that thing! And your Front door decor is way cute!
The play area at that place looks awesome. The rat race thing is SWEET! And, hey, Elin has a Victorio Strainer and it's the best ever, I know. Because I don't have one. :) Anyway, nice work on all the yummies!
Anonymous said…
I am so happy that our canning equipment is in your house and not ours. I hate to see things go to waste.

Popular posts from this blog

Science Center & Niagara Falls

Aquarium & CN Tower

Dearborn, Michigan