Calypso Falls, Rocky Mountain National Park

The next morning, we headed out for our first hike.  Since it was cloudy and rainy/cold we decided to do a falls hike.  There is no use hiking up to a viewpoint only to see clouds, so this was a perfect choice and the rain mostly held off!  We did a 3.6 round trip hike to Calypso Falls.
I packed the wrong pants and once I changed into my boots I looked super silly, but who cares.  The family got a good laugh about it and so did I.  Hopefully I provided entertainment for those we saw that day on the trail, right?
Here are some lower falls that were pretty.



Grant built the cutest little snow man.


I'll make sure to only bring my llamas next time...


For some reason, on most hikes, the kids flip flop in their moods.  One will be a super happy hiker and the other will be struggling big time.  On this hike up, Haley must have been feeling a little dehydrated (we were up near 9,000 feet) but she refused to eat or drink much...so she really struggled and was not a happy hiker.  At one point I was literally tugging her behind me as she held my hiking pole.  I typically get to listen to the grumblings of the sad/angry hiker (which ever kid it happens to be) and bring them back to happiness.  About the time they become happy again, it seems I inherit the other child who is now struggling.  It tries my patience sometimes, but luckily they eventually bounce back.  There are even big chunks of time where all 4 of us are happy hikers.  They call me rear admiral because I am playing motivator/therapist to the back of the pack, but I'll take it over Brian's job of being first because he gets to break down all the nasty spider webs on the trail! 

This time, once we reached Calypso Falls, Haley bounced back after a good snack and fluids and was enjoying herself the whole way back.  Success!!


The trail past Calypso falls was totally snow packed!




After dinner in town, we headed back to play at the YMCA.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Science Center & Niagara Falls

Aquarium & CN Tower

Dearborn, Michigan