Denver

On our last morning at the YMCA we ate for one last time in the dining hall and then played one last round of mini golf.  




Then we headed to downtown Denver and checked into our Marriott Courtyard on the 16th street mall.  Brian checked into the conference and we explored our new city surroundings.  
Brian and Grant checked out the capital and a fun candy store while Haley and I did some much needed summer clothes shopping for Haley.  We found some cute things at great prices!

Our view from our hotel room.  It was an old department store that they converted into a Marriott so it had a boutique hotel feel with big old windows.  
Most cities we visit we get CityPass tickets, but Denver has their own version, so we bought our Denver tickets and headed out to the local museums and the zoo.

First we looked at the taxidermy animals at the science museum and then we saw the alive ones at the zoo.  Usually the science centers are our favorites, but this one was okay.  We loved their rock collection though.  So many cool rocks found in Colorado.

Somewhere along the way in the museum, Haley was showing signs of getting a migraine.  Unfortunately, I didn't have any medicine on me so I did the best I could.  My mom gets frequent migraines and at the first sign she always takes an Excedrin with caffeine and it nips it in the bud.  I knew time of of the essence to turn this headache around so I found tylenol at the gift shop and we headed to the food court and I ordered her a large full strength coke and a slice of pizza.  Since Haley sill hasn't mastered the art of swallowing a pill, I crushed it and put it under her cheese on her pizza.  After eating her crunchy tylenol pizza, and drinking lots of coke she started bouncing back and her vision problems and headache went away.  Yay!!  After a long break, she felt up to trying the zoo next door - so we headed outdoors to check it out.  I really think that the altitude must have gotten to her.  I made sure she was eating and drinking plenty to keep her in good shape.  Luckily she was fine the rest of the day.






Feeding these cute birds was a big highlight!



Here we are waiting for the bus back to downtown from the zoo.  We successfully navigated public transportation!
Brian's students did a great job on their presentations at the conference.


That night we met up with his lab and Jasper's lab (from the Netherlands) and grabbed some tacos and ice cream.  It was fun to see everyone!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dr. Noehren is Now FUNDED....a Little!!!!!!!!!!!

Science Center & Niagara Falls

Life is Expensive