Horray for Mothers!
After deciding that our mom's probably didn't want another tchotchke (yeah, I had to spell check that!) for mother's day this year, Brian and I decided to each write a little note about the things we love about our mother's on the blog. We love each of you and want the world to know! We hope you like your heartfelt (albeit inexpensive) gift from us:
I love my mother because she is an amazing cheer leader. Not the pom pom kind, but the kind that is always there when you need her, squealing with excitement, rooting for your happiness and success. Her support and listening, empathetic, ear has been a godsend to me throughout my whole life. I find she is often the first I call with news, good or bad, and one of the few people on the planet that I feel comfortable calling when I need to ball my eye's out!
I also love my mom's zest for adventure. She is always finding new trips to take, new projects to do, or new skills to learn. Always. Plus, she can do or make anything! She is a professional seamstress and can make anything on the planet with a sewing machine, thread, crochet hook or knitting needles. She is an amazing cook, got her master's "just because" and was even once a licensed stock broker for a time. She excells at family history and has found thousands of family names over they years in old dusty courthouses, cemetaries, and online. Just last year she took a billiards class and she and her pool partner totally won their class's tournament. Not bad! ...and the list goes on and on... She is a great example of lifelong learning to me.
My mother may not have been the huggy, kissy type, but she taught me that life is full of possibilities and that you can truly do and become whatever you set your mind to. I have always believed that, because to me she was living proof. She overcame the trial of her father passing away while she was an infant, and the poverty that ensued, by working from an early age to save and pay her way through college. She also worked and sacrificed her income to put her own 4 daughters through college debt free so we too could reach our full potential. With her example and encouragement I too have tried new things and learned the value of hard work. I am so grateful to have such a talented, loving, caring mother who I know would do just about anything for her family. I love you mom!
I admire many things about my mother. For one thing, she is the only person I have ever lived inside of. I learned the value of hard work by watching her work and make sacrifices for the betterment of our family as a young child. She was always quick to give hugs and kisses when I felt sad or needed support. She always laughed at my many jokes. She would make me feel safe when I was scared of thunder or things under my bed. She taught me to find joy in the simple pleasures of life. She taught me to cook. She taught me about my heritage. In times of need she was always the first to offer her support and assistance. From this I have learned the value of service and compassion to my fellow man. I learned about her inner strength by watching her overcome her struggles and become a better person. I have tried to model her inner strength as I face my own challenges in life. She taught me it was ok to try new things and fail. She instilled in me the knowledge that whatever the outcome, she would be happy with me as long as I tried my hardest. I admire many things about my mother, but what I admire most is that she loves me!
Happy mothers day, MA!
Love Brian
To The Amazing Mary Kent Williams:
I love my mother because she is an amazing cheer leader. Not the pom pom kind, but the kind that is always there when you need her, squealing with excitement, rooting for your happiness and success. Her support and listening, empathetic, ear has been a godsend to me throughout my whole life. I find she is often the first I call with news, good or bad, and one of the few people on the planet that I feel comfortable calling when I need to ball my eye's out!
I also love my mom's zest for adventure. She is always finding new trips to take, new projects to do, or new skills to learn. Always. Plus, she can do or make anything! She is a professional seamstress and can make anything on the planet with a sewing machine, thread, crochet hook or knitting needles. She is an amazing cook, got her master's "just because" and was even once a licensed stock broker for a time. She excells at family history and has found thousands of family names over they years in old dusty courthouses, cemetaries, and online. Just last year she took a billiards class and she and her pool partner totally won their class's tournament. Not bad! ...and the list goes on and on... She is a great example of lifelong learning to me.
My mother may not have been the huggy, kissy type, but she taught me that life is full of possibilities and that you can truly do and become whatever you set your mind to. I have always believed that, because to me she was living proof. She overcame the trial of her father passing away while she was an infant, and the poverty that ensued, by working from an early age to save and pay her way through college. She also worked and sacrificed her income to put her own 4 daughters through college debt free so we too could reach our full potential. With her example and encouragement I too have tried new things and learned the value of hard work. I am so grateful to have such a talented, loving, caring mother who I know would do just about anything for her family. I love you mom!Love, Angela
To The Wonderful Beverly Hariton Noehren:
Comments
When I started reading about Brian's mom I thought you were writing it. I was totally confused at the second line:)