Updates

This January and February I've been busy updating a few things around the house.  I absolutely love my house, but let's be honest - it was completely being overtaken by the original brass fixtures from 20 years ago.  

Here is a random sampling of the after pictures.  I never really take before pictures, so you'll just have to imagine. Sorry!  I just get so excited to rip it out I never seem to take them.

Below is the kid's bathroom.  I replaced the light and sink fixtures, towel and tp holders, knobs, and shower curtain rod and hooks.  This sink was the only one in the house that gave me trouble.  I had to actually use Brian to cut the pipe off in the drain.  Sometimes you need some muscle....and a new hacksaw blade.  I only made it half way through the pipe before breaking the blade and decided to wait for Brian to help finish the job.  After personally replacing nearly every faucet in all 3 houses we have ever owned THIS is the only one to warrant a pipe needing to be cut off.  Stinkin pipe. Oh well.  It all worked out in the end.  I'm glad I can call in the big guns when needed :)

I plan on making a wooden frame for the mirror sometime soon(ish) and hope replace the floors and all 3 toilets in the house maybe next year.  Home remodels are slow-go when you are on a budget!
                                               
                                                 
After pricing out new heating grates and light switch plates (yes, they are all brass too) I opted to spray paint them a oil rubbed bronze color.  So far I like it enough to keep it.  I especially liked the price.  
I'm not sure why, but our upstairs hallway was painted a lighter shade of yellow than the rest of the hallway that leads downstairs so I found the old paint in the garage and finally fixed that.  It took two coats and LOTS of patience with the 7 doorways in this little hall - but, what a change!  I'm sure I am the only one that notices, but I love it.  And since I'm the one that looks at it more than anyone else - it was worth the effort and free (ok, I had to buy a roller, but you know what I mean.)
Our downstairs half bath it super tiny and always smelled a little "off" no matter how much I cleaned it. No more!  It is still small, but the new paint took the smell away and I am in love with the paint color that I made mixing two old colors I had but wasn't using.  I replaced the light and sink fixtures, tp and towel hook, and knobs.  I bought a few things to put on the walls, but haven't finished that part yet.  I'm also going to frame this mirror someday soon and the wood floors in this bathroom and our kitchen/entry will be re-sanded over spring break.


 I also hung a new light in my upstairs laundry room.  I love this little light!
I think that is mostly it.  I did the kitchen cabinet knobs and am still in the process of spray painting all of the switch plates too.  There is a LOT of those in a house!  It has been so fun sprucing up the place.  I love this stuff, and I love being able to do it mostly myself.  

Comments

Wow, it looks so great!!! Even just those "small" (I know they're a ton of work) changes make a huge difference!! Nice job!

When we moved into this house, there was a cupboard in the kitchen that always smelled a little "off," too. I finally figured out that's where they kept the dog food (which I think stinks). Weird smells in your house are NOT COOL. Glad you could fix that with paint. (I actually love the smell of paint for that very reason!)

Looks great!!! I need to come visit. :)
Andee said…
Nice job!!! It all looks great! And it's wonderful to be able to do it all yourself! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Dr. Noehren is Now FUNDED....a Little!!!!!!!!!!!

Science Center & Niagara Falls

Life is Expensive