Bonus Day - Day 4

We didn't plan on having much time to hang out in Bighorn National Forest, but with a bonus day, we spent the whole day in the mountains exploring creeks, reservoirs, and hiking around.  




 




Late afternoon we set up our camp in the Prune Creek campground.  It was up in the mountains (about 8,000 feet) and we even saw a Moose from our campsite!

This beautiful stream ran through the campground so naturally we went upstream and did a float.










 Turns out is was pretty icy, but Haley and Brian managed to float long enough to turn into human ice cubes.  It was fun though...especially to watch.

The kids and I didn't want to hike anymore, so we split up.  Brian hiked and found himself a deer and the kids and I checked out another reservoir and played games at out site.



Although the day in the mountains was perfect...the night in the mountains turned out to be quite an event.  The kids fell asleep fine, but by the time the sun went down, I was freezing even with extra layers on and I just couldn't get warm in my sleeping bag.  Finally around 1 am - Haley woke up coughing (she was still getting over her cold at this point) and I hadn't fallen asleep yet.  The temps dipped down into the 30's that night and I was frozen solid in my 35 degree bag.  Brian kindly moved Haley to the car at my request (which was a lot warmer) to help her coughing and I joined Haley not much after.  It was so nice to feel warm again!  Even without the car on, it was so much warmer.  I managed to fall asleep in the reclined drivers seat, but got only a few hours sleep at best.  Brian on the other hand couldn't fall back asleep after 1 am and was up all night.  Grant, the only one with a 20 degree bag, snored the night away.  As soon as day broke we headed out of there so glad to not be frozen anymore!  We are definitely not winter campers.  Brrrr.  I hate to be cold.

Comments

I love the west!! These are great pictures. What a fun trip--aside from the 35 degrees at night. Yikes!
Amy said…
Every single picture is so gorgeous! Sorry it was a bad night's sleep though.

Popular posts from this blog

Science Center & Niagara Falls

Aquarium & CN Tower

Dearborn, Michigan