Destination Mitchell, South Dakota - Day 2
What a difference 24 hours makes! The car is already trashed, we are all wiped out from our Nauvoo lightning strike, and we are onto the next adventure. Notice the soggy burrito tent in the back? Haha. Oh, memories!
We drove west and stopped for lunch in a place that looked like a barn, then headed to Winter Quarters in Omaha, Nebraska where the pioneers camped out to get ready for the westward journey.
Trying out the handcart. I can't imagine pushing that for 2000 miles.
Testing out what it might be like to sleep on a ship while immigrating.
So, funny story - after we looked at the graves of the known and unknown pioneers we walked back to the car and Haley kept asking about our trip plans. I explained what and where we were going each day on our trip out (again) but she was still confused. We were scheduled to arrive Sunday night at the rental cabin and Haley kept asking "but what are we doing Saturday?" Finally, I went through it again and it hit Brian and I at the same time. We had left a day early. We died laughing when we realized we had made a critical error! We still aren't quite sure how that happened. I had planned the whole trip back in March and made all of our reservations leaving on Thursday morning - but when he got done with teaching a day early we must have jumped the gun and left Wednesday morning instead. Somewhere between March and June I got it switched in my head. I am such a goon. Oh well, it all worked out. We just added a day to our trip west and had a good laugh. Thank goodness for a smart Haley who figured it out!
Finally we reached our destination - a campground in Mitchell South Dakota right on a lake. Now that we knew we were a day early, they were kind enough to change our reservation. This place was heaven sent! No rain, clean showers, abnormally friendly staff, and only $15/night. We set up the soggy tent right away to give it time to air out (luckily all of our stuff inside the tent stayed dry, so no soggy sleeping bags.) I am not exaggerating what I say that was the best night's sleep I've ever had camping. Ever. I put in ear plugs and zonked out into a deep deep coma. I loved it.
For dinner, we went out to eat at Chef Louie's - a steak house Brian was excited about. It was actually quite fancy and super yummy. We on the other hand, were super gross - not shaved or showered yet, in smelly clothes and Haley was super sick and boogery. I'm sure they were delighted to have us in their fine white table clothed establishment. We'll never see them again, so who cares, right? At least that is what we told ourselves.
On our way out of town the next morning we stopped at the local tourist trap - the Corn Palace. They are renovating it so it's not in all of it's glory, but it was still cool to see their corn murals.







Comments