Saddle & Paddle

When I knew we were going on this trip the first thing I wanted to do with the kids was go white water rafting.  I went years ago on the Snake River in Jackson Hole and loved it.  This time I decided to try out the Yellowstone River that runs north out of Yellowstone.  I found a group online, splurged, and booked our paddle and saddle, and it exceeded my expectations in every way!  I honestly would relive this day over and over if I could.  I was in absolute heaven.  Even better was that Brian and the kids (who were all pretty nervous about doing both the paddle and saddle for the first time) ended up loving it too.  It was worth every.single.penny.

We drove north through Yellowstone and stopped at the old army baracks and visitor center there.  This is where Yellowstone all started.  The buildings were impressive and date back years and years.

  
 The elk really like it here.  They were just lounging all over the place on the lawns both times were drove through.
We drove up to the mountains for our 2 hour horse ride through national forest.  Our horses were named Apollo, King, Little Chief and Maverick.




 It really was beautiful!  My horse wasn't the best listener, but that's okay.  I was happy to not have to hike on my own because my calves were crazy sore from the hike the day before.
 Lunch was provided by a local burger shop and perhaps it was because we were so hungy, but I swear it was the most amazing burger I've ever had.  It was a half pound burger and even Grant finished the entire thing.  Half pound!  So, so good.  

Then we checked into the Flying Pig and changed into our swim wear. 
You walked right down their hill into the Yellowstone River.  We rafted for about 2 hours on a 8 mile stretch.  The water felt so good because it was really hot out.  All of us jumped out for a swim in the calm spots but Brian because he was the only dude on our boat and he didn't think any of us could pull him back in :)  I seriously wish I could rewind time and be a river guide on my summers in college.  I'm sure it gets old - but I loved every second of it and was sad when it ended.

Brian's parents went on a the river just before us on the calmer spots and had a great time too.
We were all sun burnt and happily exhausted by the end of the day but I was on cloud nine.  I'm glad everyone went out of their comfort zone and discovered new things they enjoy.   

Comments

JessBK said…
Angela, I don't know if you're finished documenting the trip but it's SO FUN to see all this!! It looks like you guys had such an adventure and I love your humor and hearing about it all. Thanks for sharing. :)
What an awesome day--that all sounds like FUN!!! And, yeah, those days you want to relive... perfect!
Anonymous said…
You guys are brave. Glad you did the horses and white water stuff. Way out of my comfort zone! Hahaha.
Amy said…
That sounds so amazing and so fun!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Science Center & Niagara Falls

Aquarium & CN Tower

Dearborn, Michigan