Christmas Trip to Virginia
Three years ago we started a new family Christmas tradition. Instead of getting tons of presents, we decided to take a yearly Christmas trip instead, and it has been amazing! We are able to splurge a little, create memories and relax during a very busy time of year for our family.
I try to find good deals on big resorts. First, we went to French Lick Resort in Indiana. Then we went to the Opryland Hotel in Nashville last year. This year I found a good deal for the Homestead Resort in Virginia, close to where we used to live in Lexington, Virginia. First, we spent 2 days with some of our favorite people - The Clarks. We became fast friends over 13 years ago and it is always like no time passes when we get together. It was so fun to visit our old town, drive by our old house and mostly to just laugh and laugh with the Clarks.
The kids played so nicely with cute Gabby. She calls Haley and Grant her big brother and sister. Melt my heart!
After a few days with the Clarks, we took the slow road through our favorite Goshen Pass to the Homestead. Here are some throw back photos with Haley at the same spot and now.
Now
Then - I think that is the same rock!
Now
Then
Finally, we arrived at the Homestead. They have made some nice improvements since we were last here.
"Hey mom, take a picture of this worm!!"
We pretty much spent most of our time swimming. They have a natural hot springs that heats the outdoor pool, which was nice to swim in, but I forgot to take pictures. We swam 2-3 times in the indoor pool though, which is from the 1920's. So fun.
Most of the time we had the pool to ourselves. It was awesome. I love old pools (like this one and the one at the Greenbriar) because they built them deep. I don't know why, but it's more fun to swim in 8-9 feet of water!
We spent a lot of time roaming around the grounds inside and out and exploring. They had this epic gingerbread house, afternoon tea and cookies, an evening fire pit and tons more. These old timey resorts just have such a regal feel to them. It is so fun to learn the history and them and to be a part of it.
The arcade room was awesome. It even had mini bowling! I love mini bowling.
We left feeling more relaxed, happier and full of new fun memories. I love road trips and this one didn't disappoint! I wonder where we'll end up next year!

























Comments