Working Woman
Over the last year or so, I have helped my friend Joy do a few things for her custom drapery business. I usually help her install, and occasionally help with the rough cuts and other odds and ends. It has been such a huge blessing and I have loved working with her. Plus, she's a fellow mom and works the same hours I do - from bus to bus.
She works from her home and is amazingly talented. She works for a local design firm and makes whatever they give her to make. Here is her website if you would like to see some of her work: www.sewjoy.com.
Well, this fall she got a huge rush order job for a whole entire house - 33 windows - for a president's house of a small university in Kentucky. Plus, nearly all the windows had custom built cornices, which takes even more time. So, rather than working here or there, I worked everyday from 9 - 2:30 at her house for most November and December. We worked our tails off and got it all done! I had never made a cornice or most of the other things before - but Joy taught me how to build and line the cornices, make the cording, how to match the cuts needed to cover them, and how to make professional panels. It was so fun to learn new skills and so rewarding to see them hung up. The installation took 6 of us 12 hours to do, but we did it all in one day like they wanted!
Here is my work table in Joy's basement with a finished cornice.
Here are just a few of the photos of the finished windows in the house.
The traversing rods in this room nearly brought us to tears, but we figured it out and just in a nick of time.
Here is Joy at literally the 11th hour of the installation fine tuning a problem spot. We were both running off of fumes at this point. Haha.
I haven't worked every day like that in years and I loved it. I'm still working 2-3 days a week for her on other projects, but it has been a perfect fit for the phase of life I'm in right now. Joy keeps me laughing and I'm always in awe of what she does with those cuts of fabric. Who knew there were so, so many type of custom draperies!!








Comments