Roatan, Honduras
Our first port visit was to Roatan, Honduras. We had booked an excursion to the Tabaynya Beach Break, a place on the other side of the island right on the reef. We met up with our group and bused 30 minutes through Roatan. It was all of our first time to anywhere in central america and just looking out the bus windows was an adventure!
After getting back from our trip, I realized that I hardly took any pictures! I was just loving taking it all in that I forgot to take the camera out much. Oops.
Here is the beautiful beach we spent the day at. The water was warm and clear and stunning! It rained on and off, but it didn't stop us from having a great time.
The kids enjoyed the water slide and trampoline and the clear bottom kayak that you could see the reef and fish through.
I suppose I didn't get many pictures because I spent 90 percent of my day in the water snorkeling. You could just walk in the water and swim right out to the reef. It was like swimming in a huge fish tank! I was in fish heaven. So many tropical fish everywhere. I floated out there for hours and hours, but the kids preferred staying closer to the shore and playing in the sand.
Poor Brian took a while to get the hang of swimming above the reef and gashed his foot open on the reef. It was pretty gnarly, but he soldiered on. All those little specks in the background are people snorkeling that came in on boats. It was nice to just come and go from the beach whenever we wanted.
In one spot, by the rocks you didn't even have to snorkel. You could just stand in water about up to our waist and they would all just swim around your legs. Iguana were sunning on the rocks above. I really wish I captured the moment on camera, but I didn't. It was amazing and the main reason I booked at trip to the western Caribbean.
The beach was full of kids and adults walking up and down selling all sorts of things. Lots of people offering massages. Lots. They would all say "Hey Lady, want massage?" I would say no thanks, and without fail, they would all say "Maybe later?" I finally just started saying "No, not later." It was annoying but also comical.
Grant learned the fine art of negotiations and bought a little hand made spinny thing for $2. Down from $10. We also bought a magnet, which we do everywhere.
We made it back to the boat on time and enjoyed another yummy dinner in the dining room.
It was a beautiful day in Roatan!
Comments