My Secret

Lately (as in the last 7 years hahaha) we've been trying to figure out how to best help our sweet daughter with her anger management issues.  Most blow ups tend to revolve around having to do things she doesn't want to do, and not being in charge.  So this weekend when it was time for her to help unload the dishwasher and her anger started to heat up I told her that I had a secret to tell her.  That caught her attention.  I then told her that my secret was that I too hated doing dishes.  She looked at me wide eyed in disbelief and said "You DO????"  I confirmed that yes, I hate dishes - but I still do them. Every. Single. Day.  Ugh.  I told her it was my way of helping the family out - doing something I really don't like.  Suddenly she felt some kindship - we were fellow dish haters - and she happily helped do her job.  Meltdown avoided.  She then even went on to clean the family room and wash the bathroom sinks.  What a gal.  Parenting can try my patience, but I am grateful for when I finally get it right, even for a moment, and am able to have teaching moments with my kids...even if the affects only last an hour!  Perhaps I'll have to think of more "secrets" to divulvge!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I wonder how that would work on Josh??? I'll give it a try. Way to go Mom!!
HOORAY!!!!!!!!! That is awesome!! :)
Amy said…
Oh, wow, that's so cool! And how sweet that she went on to clean the family room and the bathroom sinks. Way to go, Ang.
angela said…
I love it when something we do actually works out! However, it seems like those are few and far between... Good work!
Andee said…
That is great! I know exactly how you feel! Those kinds of moments are the BEST!!
Anonymous said…
What insight! What discernment! What inspiration!

Popular posts from this blog

Science Center & Niagara Falls

Aquarium & CN Tower

Dearborn, Michigan