Anniversary Weekend

This past weekend we visited my parents in West Virginia and they were gratious enough to watch our kids for 2 days while we headed to Deep Creek Maryland for a fun overnight on our 11th anniversary!  The kids had a blast riding the PRT, swimming, going out to eat and playing while we had a blast doing whatever we wanted to do on our own timeline!  A real win/win!

It was too cold and rainy to hit the lake, so we did a nice trail run at Swallow Falls.  It was a really cool forest with 300 year old pines. 

This was the biggest of the 4 falls.  It was really beautiful.
That night we had an amazing pizza and homemade root beer at the Mountain State Brewing Company.  I kid you not - it was amazing.  Brian loves pizza (he ranked this place in his top 10) and I super love root beer (and I rank this place numero uno!)  We literally drank nearly 3 pitchers of their made-on-the premises root beer.  Perhaps the long wait for the pizza helped in this effort...but none-the-less, it was good root beer.  It even inspired me to perhaps try my hand at homemade rootbeer someday.  Perhaps... 

Later, we played raquetball, bummed around, went on a morning jog together and rode the ski lifts up the mountain to hike around.  It was such a fun, relaxing weekend!
On our way back to my parent's house Brian was convinced that there must be a fun place to eat in Friendsville and insisted we check it out.  Anyone familiar with Friendsville knows that there is nothing there.  He didn't believe me and drove into "town."  Come to find out - there was one eating establishment that proudly displayed the below sign.  I know what a hoagie is, but I'm not too sure about an edible wedgie.  Hmmm... I'm thinking no thanks. 
A few exits later in Preston County (enough said there) we spotted this fun place! Odd combo.
Oh, West Virginia - you're so weird and lovable all at the same time!  No matter how odd your signs are, how wacky your zoning laws are, or why I will never understand your disdain for properly paved roads I will always smile when I see this sign.
Thanks mom and dad for a great weekend, and thanks to Brian for a great 11 years.  It's so nice to look back and see how the good times and challenging times we've shared have brought us even closer.  You still are, and always will be my favorite person. 

Comments

Anonymous said…
Are you making fun of dear old West Virginia? We could show you some other good signs. Like the combination gun and ice cream shop on the Fairchance Road. We had tons of fun with Haley and Grant while you were at Deep Creek Lake. And thank you for the jug of that great gourmet root beer! I give it a 10!
Ashlee said…
I need to go to West Virginia!!! Glad you got away for for little celebration!
Amy said…
What a nice post. I loved your comments about West Virginia, too--weird and lovable at the same time. amen! I love the wedgies sign!
What a really fun post. Great getaway, and fun for me to learn/see a little more about WV.
Anonymous said…
'Still want to know what the wedgies were . . .
'Glad you had a great time!
Cara
JessBK said…
Hilarious, Angela. Just drove past Friendsville on our way back home and always wondered if we were missing anything by not stopping. Glad to know the answer. Happy anniversary!
Michelle said…
The end of your post is priceless. You two are such a great couple! So glad to have you in my life for all these years ang! Can't think of a better sister-in-law :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Science Center & Niagara Falls

Aquarium & CN Tower

Dearborn, Michigan