Grant's Baptism
The day after Grant's 8th birthday he was baptized an official member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Most children that are raised in the church join when they are 8 years old (as opposed to being baptized as babies in other religions) because they are old enough to know right from wrong by that age. After baptism, they are also given the Gift of the Holy Ghost to help comfort and guide them through their life and help them to make right choices and repent when needed. Since 8 is the earliest age you are able to join the church (there is no upper age limit to joining!) most active families choose to have their children baptized then. It was such a wonderful and special day, and we are very proud of Grant!
Here are some pictures I took to use for the invitations I made. Such a handsome fella.
We had a dessert table for afterwards all decorated in blue and green (some of his favorite colors).
For the program, Grant chose Haley to give the talk on baptism. She did a fantastic job. She wrote it completely by herself and did a great job speaking in front of everyone. Here is her talk:
Grant, I’d like you to know how special your baptism is. Baptism is one of many keys that open the many doors to living with our heavenly father again. You will probably always remember this day, even if it was just how you felt, because even I still remember mine, which was three years ago. A way that I like to think about baptism, and you can to, is that it is your special birthday present. Although this present may be small, in side lays several blessings. Some of those blessings include; becoming a member of the church, being forgiven of all your sins, a special covenant with Heavenly Father, and many more. This gift will be one of the most special gifts that you will ever receive in your entire life, so always remember this day. Grant you are a peace maker, kind, loving, honest, loyal, and energetic boy. These personality traits reflect Christ. These are very good traits to have. So as you get baptized, I would like you to cherish every moment of it. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen
Grant chose for Grandpa Williams to conduct the music, Grandma Williams and his church teacher (Laura Cullen) to give prayers and for me to give the talk on the Gift of the Holy Ghost. I won't post it word for word, but I compared the Holy Ghost to a flash light and how it is a tool that Heavenly Father gives us to guide us in our life. Anyone on earth can feel the Holy Ghost since we are all God's children, but once we commit to following Him in our life, and are baptized, he gives us a gift or "flashlight" to give us an extra measure of help since life has many challenges. I explained how it is up to him to utilize the tool he has been given and to turn the light on through righteous living and he will be blessed through life's challenges. Since his dad is the bishop, Brian conducted the meeting, gave some closing comments and also performed the baptismal ordinance and the laying on of hands confirmation of the Holy Ghost.
I'm proud of our Grant! He has great things ahead in his future.

Comments