Baby Steps

Over the last year or so I have experimented with different eating styles, read a lot of different health books and thyroid books, watched a lot of food documentaries, and changed a lot of my shopping habits.  I have started buying better quality products, especially when it come to any meat or dairy products.  It just makes sense.  Who needs more hormones - not me!

I'm no holistic-only type.  I love modern medicine!  Doctors are great!  I just figure that there is only so much extra hormones and chemicals our endocrine systems can handle and mine is in overload and my synthroid isn't covering all the bases.  I've been happy with my changes and continue to learned a lot. 

Then I read this CTWorkingMom's post by my wonderful sister in law Michelle and realized that I had been storing my carefully bought food in old ratty BPA laden plastic containers and serving my kids food on old ratty plastic plates and cups.  I had never even thought about it before!  It really opened my eyes, so I thought I would share it on my blog too.  I just bought these storage containers with BPA free lids and bought nice new glass cups and plates for the kids.  I still have some plastic cups and plates, but only the good ones.

 
 
There are some great links on the CT Working Mom's website about chemicals.  I even looked up my soap, lotion and shampoos on the Skin Deep Database.  I've known that BPA and other stuff was bad, but never really put it into action (except for my beloved water bottles.)  BPA can mess with all sorts of stuff (various cancers, wacky thyroid, reproductive issues... and the list goes on and on) because it acts like extra estrogen in your body.  Who wants that?   Who wants their kids or husband to have more estrogen?  Not me! 
 
I'm sure that there is more horrible stuff in my house that I am currently happily using, but for me this was a baby step in the right direction.


Comments

Anonymous said…
So many toxins...so much work to figure it all out.
I'd heard about that also. These look great!
Anonymous said…
So glad you enjoyed my blog post Ang! - Michelle
Ratliffs said…
We feel the same way! Baby steps are the way to go! :)
Anonymous said…
Very good information! Thank you!

Cara

Popular posts from this blog

Science Center & Niagara Falls

Aquarium & CN Tower

Dearborn, Michigan