Sequester What?

Sequestration.  Say what?  Since I only dabble in politics, I honestly didn't know much about this until my sisters who live in DC started emailing about the sequester and how it will affect them, and many other federal employees.  I think we all understand the need to "trim the fat" or whatever they say, but nobody likes to lose a job, or take a paycut - which is really what this boils down to.  Then I read this article in the Washington Post and realized that we too will be affected by the sequestration.  This is bad news for junior research faculty, such as Brian, seeking grant funding! 

After Brian and I read this we had the same reaction - 1) uh-oh and 2) whew!  Reaction 1 is because it was already a nearly impossible research funding market and it is clearly only going to get worse.  Reaction 2 is because Brian, by the grace of God, was funded by both the NIH and the NSF just this year for two different 5 and 3 year grants. 

He just barely, barely got awarded the NIH grant before the sequester on a grant he has been working on for 3 years.  This grant meant so much to him, and holds so much promise, and he worked so tirelessly on it for y.e.a.r.s that I literally cried tears of joy when he called me at Grant's basketball practice a month ago to tell me the news.  It is honestly like being given a golden ticket that can build your career, followed by a crazy amount of work to accomplish what you propose to do.  So, for now Brian is busy as ever, and won't be submitting as many grants this year...but down the road I'm sure a mess of stress will be waiting him and every other young research faculty member like him at universities across the nation seeking funding for their research.  Bleh.   

Comments

Anonymous said…
Soooo glad Brian got his grants before all this craziness started.
Anonymous said…
Whew! Yeah, I think that nobody thinks anything is going to happen because it's all so gradual. But we are definitely feeling it here in Northern Virginia!
Amy said…
I'm so glad Brian got all of those grants in time!
Wow, what a huge relief!

Popular posts from this blog

Dr. Noehren is Now FUNDED....a Little!!!!!!!!!!!

Science Center & Niagara Falls

Life is Expensive