If you know me, you know I love a good road trip! So, when Brian had a quick one day conference in Charlottesville, Virginia you know I had to tag along. We took the kids out of school Thursday and drove over through our old Virginia stomping grounds. While Brian was in his conference on Friday, the kids and I took off for Monticello, the home of Thomas Jefferson.
 |
| Howdy, I'm Thomas Jefferson! |
Try as I might to get them excited, Grant was less than impressed. He was still in crazyville from being sick all week. Oh well. That happens. I kept telling myself during the whole tour that I'll never see any of these people again, so who cares that they are judging me and my crazy son's behavior. Haley learned a few things and now the kids can say they've been to the house on the nickle. Woo hoo. Luckily, I have been there before (sans children) and had already seen all I wanted to see, so I was able to be more laid back about their lack of interest.
 |
| The front of Monticello |
 |
| The side of Monticello |
After some lunch I decided that the rest of the day would best be spent at the pool. I read a great book and let them swim and swim and swim their brains out and happiness returned.
 |
| Happy Grant! |
Later that night with Brian, we went out to eat at a great pizza place and headed to a yummy frozen custard shop. Some enjoyed the experience more than others. Guess who?
 |
| Sad Grant |
 |
| Tired, sad Grant. It is hard to be 6 sometimes. |
We drove home on Saturday, my birthday. Our favorite book fair in Harrisburg was going on that weekend so we stopped and had a great time! Love that place! As we got thinking about it we realized that we hadn't been there in probably 9 years. ...And then we both felt really, really old because only old people can remember things 10 years ago and not have been in college or high school. At any rate, it was a great way to start my birthday.
Then we drove home, stopping at Sheetz, our favorite road trip lunch spot. It is like Wawa in Delaware, which I love too. I know I'm a cheap date, but I really love a good sub - so this is where I wanted to stop for my birthday lunch - a gas station. Plus, I figured we just went out to eat for 2 days so I was good! Brian got his mega soda and it is tradition to get mallo cups for dessert. We have this down to a science. We are classy people.
 |
Sheetz!
|
All in all, it was a fun weekend. Southern Virginia will always have a soft spot in my heart. We loved living there and it was nice to enjoy the beauty of it again.
Comments