The BIG Event of the Summer
Well, now that I have finally updated the blog - I saved the best event of summer for last! After 40 years of living and raising their family in Morgantown, West Virginia, my parents decided to relocate to Lexington! It has been nearly a year in the making...almost to the day. This time last year my parents were kind enough to watch our kids while I tagged along on a work trip with Brian to Vancouver, Canada. They have always loved Lexington, and have even looked casually at houses in the past while visiting - but never with any serious intention.
So, before I left, I mentioned that they were building some garden style homes nearby and we walked through the model together. I could tell they really liked it, but never in my wildest dreams did I expect or anticipate that 4 days later, before we had even returned from our trip, they would purchase a lot where their future home would be built! To say it took me and my sisters by shock was an understatement! Don't get me wrong - I was thrilled for them, and us, but my parents are such planners and totally not the type to make such a big purchase without warning or discussion! I guess when something is right, you sometimes know it right away, and they knew this was right and wanted to act quickly to get the exact lot they wanted because they were selling quickly. Plus, we are in the middle of my two sisters in DC and my sister in Illinois, so this way they can be close to family as they age, but still in the middle.
Since their future house would take 9-10 months to build they had time to go home, sell their home (it sold on the first day!) and plan all of the many, many details. It worked out that the week after the big beach trip they moved into their new Kentucky home, complete with nearly all new furniture too. We came over to help out, fed them dinner and could tell they were wiped out! It's a lot of work to unpack your life when you haven't moved in 40 years, but my parents are busy people and had the whole place practically unpacked and decorated in a week. No joke. No wonder they were wiped out!
It has been such a blessing to have them here. Living in Kentucky, neither Brian or I ever anticipated living in the same town as either of our parents, so it has been such a welcome surprise. I love that I have already seen my sisters and their families more now that we both live here and have already loved having Jan and Cara and their families come by last month. I love that I can just swing by if I want to, or can invite them over for dinner, or the kids sporting things at a moments notice. I love that they are so incredibly happy and glowing!
I went over today to get some quick pictures. They might not be the best, but here is a glimpse of grandma and grandpa's new place (complete with Grant and Grandma modeling)
I didn't include the bedrooms or bathrooms, and the kitchen picture is super blurry, but you get the idea! It still has the same cozy feeling their old home in WV had, only new and shiny! Even though they are only 3 miles away, they officially live in the neighboring county. You can see Lexington from their house, but they live in Nicholasville and attend the Nicholasville ward (church), not our ward. Their ward is wonderful and has lots of couples closer to their age and is a good fit.
Welcome to Kentucky! We are so glad you moved here!
Comments